Monday, March 17, 2008

Captain Jack Is Not a Pirate

You don’t believe me? Yes, I know there is a Captain Jack who is a pirate, but he is completely imaginary and only lives as he is brought to life on the big screen by an actor named Johnny Depp. No, I’m not talking about Johnny Depp’s fantasy pirate persona. Our Captain Jack is very much alive and completely real. Not a fictitious thing about him. He is exceedingly loving, and he is warm and furry. You’ll find his picture on this website, though labeled with his initials, not his full name.

That's because we call him CJ the majority of the time. We do that for several reasons, the first simply because it is much faster to write when I am IMing with my daughters. It is also easier to say. There’s another reason, too. I couldn’t picture myself standing on the back patio at 10 p.m. and hollering, “Captain Jack!! Time to come home, Captain Jack.” No, that would never do. Our smart little guy recognizes the CJ and responds to it quite nicely—for a cat.

You’ve heard of Long John Silver, the pirate who was missing a leg? Well, this furry little pirate is missing one, too. Notice his lack of hip on the right side in the picture. But that is a story for another time.

No comments: